Trying to spend more time on social media
Another work day where I wake up early. But I've made a change to my early morning habits:
The plan is now:
- Get out of bed as soon as the alarm goes clock off
- Press snooze
- Get dressed
- Go downstairs
- Turn off the alarm
- Make coffe
- Press play on the podcast I am listening to
- Start browsing Instagram
- Stop browsing when podcast episode finishes
The second last item on that list might sound weird to almost everyone else but I can forget looking at or even thinking about Instagram for days or weeks.
That might sound great for someone who struggles with addiction to social media, and I guess it is less annoying and dangerous,but also means I miss out on a lot of what is happening.
So for now I'll try this to see if I can include a healthy dose of updates from friends and family.
- it helps a lot that I have decided well in advance what the first 30 minutes of the day will look like
- it works reasonably well, my brain turns on (possibly related to an interesting podcast)
- generally my brain seems to respond well to spoken words while I'm doing something else
- Instagram ads generally have a lot better targeting for me (it took 12 long years for Google to realize I was not looking for scammy-looking dating sites)
- writing blog posts takes more than 5 minutes, I guess this took 30 minutes
- it is now 0522
I've been trying this for less than a week, so add a pinch of salt, but I feel I'm into an habit that can work well for a few weeks.